Ingredient: cabbage, sea salt, and water
- The beneficial probiotics found in sauerkraut are important for good digestive health, and whilst more research is needed into the exact types of beneficial bacteria found in sauerkraut and other fermented foods, we do know that they ‘feed’ the good bacteria in your gut and can help to combat inflammation.
- Research has shown that probiotics help to reduce some digestive symptoms such as gas, bloating, constipation and may be beneficial to those suffering from conditions such as Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis.
- Sauerkraut also contains enzymes that help the body to break down food into smaller, and more easily digestible molecules which in turn helps the body to absorb more nutrients.
- Most of our immune system is found in our gut, so with its gut-supporting properties, it’s easy to see how sauerkraut can also be of benefit to your immune system too. The good bacteria from sauerkraut helps to keep the lining of your digestive system healthy. A strong gut lining stops any unwanted substances or toxins from ‘leaking’ into your body and thereby causing an immune response. These same bacteria may also support your natural antibodies and reduce your risk of infections.
- Sauerkraut helps with weight loss
Some research has shown that consuming probiotic-rich foods such as sauerkraut can reduce your risk of obesity and aid weight loss, although more research needs to be done in this area. Sauerkraut is a good source of fiber which helps to keep you fuller for longer.
NOTE: Sauerkraut is high in sodium. Just one ½ cup/50g serving will provide approximately a third of your RDA sodium intake for an adult, so keep an eye on your salt intake if you add sauerkraut to your diet.
There are no reviews yet.